Coproduce with Canada
Coproductions are a key component of canada’s audiovisual industry. Between 2008 and 2011, 259 coproductions (87 films and 172 tv programs) were produced, with a total average annual budget of $481m and an average canadian share of $227m.
What do we mean by audiovisual treaty coproduction?
In Canada, an audiovisual treaty coproduction is a feature film or a television program produced jointly between Canadian and foreign coproducers in accordance with audiovisual coproduction treaties signed between partnering countries.
What does canada have to offer?
Talented production community: Canada produces around 85 feature films and more than 1,200 television productions per year. In 2010-2011, independent film and television productions in Canada generated about 55,600 full-time jobs in the country. Canadian talents, casts and crews are recognized on the international scene.
A diversified geography: Canada is a federation of ten provinces and three territories covering a vast area of almost 10M square kilometres with a population of 34.5M. The country’s two official languages are French & English. Canada offers infinite possibilities of locations and landscapes. Check with the provincial agencies to find out which province best suits your project.
Financing: Audiovisual treaty coproductions enjoy national status in each treaty country. This allows your Canadian partner to apply for Canadian funding: automatic funding (federal and provincial tax credits, all labour-based) and selective funding (for example: Canadian Feature Film Fund, France-Canada mini treaty, Canada Media Fund, etc.).
Who can coproduce with Canada?
Any producer established in a country that has signed a coproduction treaty with Canada. Currently, Canada has treaties and arrangements with 53 partners in all regions of the world:
- Belgium (film only)
- China (film only)
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- the Philippines
- Russian Federation
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- South Korea (TV only)
- United Kingdom
- (Serbia & Montenegro)
Why coproduce with Canada?
- An audiovisual treaty coproduction is a national production in the coproducing countries. So, in Canada, Canadian producers have access to the same Canadian financing sources than a domestic production.
- Share the risks (financing and budget).
- Access to greater distribution networks and to a larger pool of creators and technicians.
How can I do business with canada outside of audiovisual treaty coproduction framework?
You can choose two other possible options in partnering with Canada:
- Co-ventures – (audiovisual coproductions without treaty) certified by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
- Film or Video Production Services Tax Credit (PSTC) (location shooting) – The Canadian Audio Visual Certification Office (CAVCO) co-administers the PSTC program with the Canada Revenue.
For more information visit:
What are the requirements to coproduce?
- A minimum contribution per country (of 15% to 30%)
- Financial contribution, creative, technical and level of expenditure must all be in proportion. (ie: if the project is 40% Canadian, it is expected that 40% of cast and crew come from Canada and 40% of the budget be spent in Canada).
- Subject to each treaty’s provisions, all personnel hired to work on an official coproduction must come from the coproducing countries and the project must be filmed and post produced in the coproducing countries.
- Subject to both authorities’ approval, most treaties allow for noncoproducing country actor(s) and foreign location shooting when the script so requires.
How can I find a Canadian partner?
Get to know the Canadian companies attending Cannes
Check out who’s done what online in the Coproduction Directory:
Recent coproductions with Canada
babar and the adventures of badou / barney’s version / blindness / buddha’s little fingers / busytown / café de flore / camelot / china heavyweight / cosmopolis / cyanure / eastern promises / erky perky / fox fire / hors les murs / incendies / inescapable / in darkness / inch allah / jappeloup / karakara / laurence anyways / le magasin des suicides / mabul / man on the train / midnight’s children / mysteries / pillars of the earth / producing parker / resident evil: afterlife / rouge brésil / silk / stay / the borgias / the cure / the imaginarium of dr. parnassus / the tudors / the whistleblower / winnie xiii …YOUR PROJECT COULD BE THE NEXT!